Monday, October 30, 2006

The ocean is a magical place

Full of odd things.
I know because I have recently seen the evidence.
Did you know that starfish bring their stomachs to their mouths to digest things?
Did you know that sea turtles practice nesting before they actually lay the eggs?
Or that there is a cone snail that can kill you with a venomous harpoon?
Manta rays can get up to 18 feet across - can you even imagine a manta ray that big? And if the ocean generates whales, and giant mantas, and giant turtles, and giant squid, maybe there are also giant starfish, and giant seahorses. Wouldn't that be neat?

Anyway I think the ocean is grand. Recently back from the Great Barrier Reef. I saw sea turtles crawling up on shore to flap around a bit before heading back in. They are with eggs currently but not laying just yet. The shorelines were covered in rays (though not giant) and reef sharks, the reef was covered with squiggly lipped clams and coral with bits of glowing color. I am glowing red on the backside- and everytime I feel a bit of burn I am reminded of my own unexplainable negligence.
I think this might be called the snorklers burn.