Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I lost the month of December

I had two training meetings scheduled in December which were to be my two shining days of productivity this month. I have now missed them both. It took us 4 days to get home from Tanzania. Our 24 hour bus turned out to be lie. We left it in Tanzania and were not entirely lucky with our hitches home. I need to get home so I can recover from my vacation. As it turns out vacationing in Africa isn't much of a vacation because you are still in Africa. I was looking forward to going to Zanzibar with my sister- which was fun and wonderful - but certainly not a break from interactions loaded with history and socio-political context, or just plain old swindling. Zanzibar is in someways worse because of the tourism.

My sister asked if it ever got frustrating to have things not work - not having electricity, or toilets, systems not working etc. Peeing in a hole is perhaps the easiest part of my life. When things don't work because there isn't money, infrastructure, resources, etc. It is tiring but you can get use to it. When things don't work because someone is a crook or a jerk, or drunk-That is irritating.

Come January I am never leaving my village. Because as Jacob has discovered, my nsaka is the most relaxing place in all of Zambia. And because transport steals my soul.