Tuesday, November 28, 2006

New Rule

Sara* is a medical student and so we often discuss the many and varied infectious diseases and types of worms available in Zambia. Last night this conversation inspired the idea of a HAZMAT suit as another item to consider for the suitcase (Alan could I get one of those faulty SanFran suits? I can put duct tape over the parts that have lost their integrity). Now imagine Keli in a yellow HAZMAT suit in Africa, peering out through her square plastic face mask, waving a plastic suited hand and saying, "Hello villagers! I am your new neighbor, I want to integrate myself into you community!" Rubbing the condensation away with her nose. Hugging her new friends with a cheek pressed against the plastic. Quickly hurrying back to her hut to rinse off with iodine. Ah it was good for a laugh at least.

But now the new rule is no imaging myself in Zambia. Not unless it is something outrageous or impossible. Like going over Victoria Falls in a barrel. Or bringing up a baby elephant as my own. That will of course continue. But no pre-conceived ideas about what life will be like. No half-baked plans about how to save the village from poverty, or Zambia from AIDS, or the world from evil. I will figure out those things when I get there. For now I will meditate on the idea that I need to keep my goals manageable, my theories inductive, and my methods ever reevaluated.

And no more reading other PCV blogs. Though in doing so I realized that Zambia is not on the moon and this is not an unblazed trail of unseen wonders. This might not have occurred to you either, but I am NOT the first volunteer to adventure into the heart of Africa. Truly! It's been done before! So I will probably tell you all about the exact same things they told their friends - the texture of roasted bugs, the details of getting violently ill, dealing with boredom, exactly how long I have been sweating, and the progress I have made on my little home improvements to keep the rain/mud/bugs/snakes out of my bed. Please act surprised when I do tell you these things cause it will probably feel like the first time it has ever happened - even if it's not.

*Sara also suggested a vile of battery acid carried around the neck and a long bladed diving knife strapped to the calf as further safety precautions. She has been really helpful.