Sunday, January 28, 2007

in country

This is going to have to be a quick post. I think in the future I will write what I want to say before and then just type it. I am in Zambia and it is really a beautiful country. We chose languages yesterday and I chose Soli - which means that I will be living somewhere in the Lusaka Provence. This is in the middle of the country - closest to Lusaka of all the provences - and we are the first volunteers to ever be there. Which has some pressure but could also be really exciting. Apparently the community is really eager to have us come. So far we have just been doing more training and paperwork etc. But tomorrow we go out for a week long site visit (2 day car ride) so we will get to see how other volunteers live and more of the country. I am so excited to see the Northwestern provence! I don't know what else to say - so far everything has been great. I love my training group. I really like my program (called RED -Rural Education Development now instead of LTM) . And I really like Zambia. You all should come because it is so beautiful!

This is kind of a boring post. Next time I will be more prepared with funny stories and specific instances of cultural differences.

We have all noticed the very subtle differences between us trainees and the long term volunteers. We are all excited to be more like them in a couple years.

Oh and I DID find my camera! the cab driver was a friend of an employee of the hotel so after several phone calls the drive got in touch with me. Unfortunately by that time we were already on our way to Dulles - Do I paid the driver to bring the camera out to me. It was an expensive! cab ride but still george from Eritrea is my hero. also Manny at Holiday Inn.

I am not spell checking so get over it.